Monday, September 30, 2013

Successful Pinspiration (Part 2)


Dorie Greenspan's White-Out Cake
Recently my little brother has done a number of things that have made me feel really old, but more than that they have made me realize that he's all grown up.  In a short period of time he has become a father, gotten a really great job and has moved into a new home.  I couldn't be happier or more proud of him...they grow up so fast don't they...tear, tear...where's my kleenex!!

Sorry, I got a little sappy for a second there...as I was saying, this weekend he invited me and my husband over for a small housewarming party and since I wanted to celebrate his accomplishments and I didn't want show up empty-handed, I jumped online to do a little Pinterest browsing and found this very popular recipe for Dorie Greenspan's White-Out Cake from her cookbook Baking: From My Home to Yours.

Believe it or not, I have had this cookbook on my Amazon wish list for a while now, but I have yet to hit the "buy with one-click" button.  Geez, Amazon makes it too easy...I am trying to keep my cookbook addiction in check, which is exactly why I love Pinterest and food blogs so much.  I am able to get some honest feedback from other bakers on different recipes as well as test out a few of them on my own before making my cookbook investments.

Now that I have made, tasted and tested this recipe on my family I can honestly say that this cookbook purchase is no longer a frivolous want, but a real NEED...hehehe...in all seriousness, it's a great recipe.  The cake is moist and chocolatey while the frosting is light as a cloud with the perfect amount of sweetness.  I assure you that your guests will not be disappointed when you pull this beauty out.
White-Out Mise En Place
Sifting, Creaming & Combining Eggs, Vanilla & Melted Chocolate
 Incorporating Dry & Wet Ingredients with More Chocolate!!
Baking Before & After
Mise En Place for Billowy Marshmallow Frosting
Clouds of Frosting Covered in Crumbled Cake
White-Out Cake
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's
Baking: From My Home to Yours
Houghton Mifflin 2006.

Makes makes 12 servings

Cake Ingredients
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 cup buttermilk or whole milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup boiling water
4 ounces semisweet or milk chocolate, finely chopped, or 2/3 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

Filling and Frosting Ingredients
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 large)
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

For the full recipe follow this link: Dorie Greenspan's White-Out Cake and please let me know how you like it :)

Happy Baking,
Dani xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment