Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pastry School Online...Whaaaat!?!

Wow...where do I begin...it has been quite an adventure so far.  Last year I was knee deep in books and stressed out beyond belief studying the law and now I am knee deep in flour studying the science of baking and loving every minute of it.

My first choice was to attend the very prestigious and well known Le Cordon Bleu, but being a thirty-something, wife and full time paralegal the very strict schedule was not something that was realistic for me.  I admit that for a moment there the wind had been taken out of my sails.  I had finally decided to do something that I knew I would love, but I found myself at a road block.  Not easily defeated, I knew there had to be another route so I searched and searched the web looking for any sign of hope and one beautiful day the heavens opened up and shined brightly on my computer screen, well that's how I remember it anyway.



That day I found Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy , which offers an online version of their culinary arts program and pastry arts program found at their schools in Austin, TX and Boulder, CO.  More specifically, "Escoffier Baking and Pastry Academy provides an outstanding online baking and pastry experience that offers classical skills while incorporating contemporary baking and pastry trends from around the globe. The combination of classical and contemporary techniques provides an in-depth exploration of the source of ingredients and sustainable practices that are increasingly relevant for today’s baker or pastry chef." (Couldn't have said it better myself!)  As a side note, click here if you would like to learn more about Auguste Escoffier.

Many people may give a wrinkled brow at the thought of an online culinary/pastry school, but to tell you the truth, the Escoffier program has been amazing thus far.  I am learning so much and for a fraction of the price it would have cost me to go to Le Cordon Bleu. The chef mentors have umpteen years of experience in the field and I am able to study and bake as my schedule allows.   The best part though is that I haven't lost any more precious moments with my husband, friends and family as I had in my law school days.

I will make sure to update you with my pastry school journey, but for now I leave you with a few pics of my "homework"...


Buttercream Frosting
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
Viennese Cookies Five Ways
Whole Wheat Apple Pecan Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar Compound Butter
Rosemary Focaccia
It's my goal to continue to learn from my mistakes, perfect my craft and to never look back.  I am excited to be a part of something new and innovative and would love to hear what you think of online culinary and pastry programs or just online schools in general?  Until next time...

Happy Baking,
Dani xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I am incredibly excited for you and your new venture! You are going to be amazing pastry chef. Bon Appetit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I was hesitant to put up these pics, but I thought that they can be used as a jumping off point...see where I began!

      Delete