Sunday, September 6, 2015

GF Dark Chocolate Cherry Cake

When I signed up for my Escoffier Online Healthy Baking course I was really excited to find ways to create desserts that people with restrictive diets could enjoy, but also feel like they weren't eating diet food.  It also hit close to home for me because my dad must follow a diabetic and renal (kidney) friendly diet so I know first hand how important the ingredients can be to how a person feels. 

This weekend I got to hang out with my dad and it was the perfect opportunity for me to make him something special that wouldn't spike his blood sugar levels or put any unnecessary strain on his kidneys, but that also tasted great to the rest of my family who are lucky enough to not have to worry about what they are eating.  I think this recipe did the trick.

Since the texture of my baked goods have been so delicious with my gluten free flour blend I thought I would make some substitutions in this recipe and see how they worked out.
GF Dark Chocolate Cherry Cake
GF Dark Chocolate Cherry Cake
Adapted from DaVita.com

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/2 cup Truvia or 1 cup granulated sugar 
  • 1 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (almond would be nice too)
  • 2 cups gluten free flour blend or all-purpose white flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 20 ounces cherry pie filling or any other filling flavor
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or sliced almonds for texture)
  • Tub of light Cool Whip Topping

Preparation


  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Set butter out at room temperature to soften. 
  2. Using a mixer, blend butter, eggs, sugar, greek yogurt and vanilla together. 
  3. In separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda. 
  4. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until just incorporated trying not to over mix. Spread batter into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan. 
  5. Evenly disperse cherry pie filling over batter and sprinkle with dark chocolate chips. 
  6. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and tooth pick inserted in the center comes out with little to zero crumbs. When serving put a dollop of Cool Whip Topping on top of each piece. 

    *NOTE: The batter is thick and sticky...don't worry...just spread it out as evenly as you can in your dish (I used two spoons)...it will bake up beautifully!!

    Mise en Place
    Cherries and more Cherries
    Golden Delicious
This cake turned out really great. It was light, moist and had just the right amount of sweetness from the cherries and chocolate. A perfect treat for a warm summer evening or a Labor Day potluck. 

If you are not worried about your sugar intake I may suggest using regular sugar rather than the sugar substitute because it can leave a slight after taste that I just can't put my finger on...it's not bad, but it's different.  Otherwise I was really happy with the flavor and the Greek yogurt was a great substitution for the sour cream because it gave the dish an extra punch of protein.

Please enjoy and let me know what you think!

Happy Labor Day and Happy Baking,
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment