Saturday, August 22, 2015

Gluten Free Flour Blend

Hi everyone!! I have been absent for a bit, but I have recently gotten back into the swing of things and started my Escoffier Online Culinary Academy Healthy Baking course and I am so excited to share my journey with you.

The course includes:

Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts
- Lactose-Free Desserts
- Vegan Baking and Desserts
- Diabetic and Low Fat Desserts
- Paleo Desserts
- Raw Desserts
- Heart-Healthy Desserts
- Farm to Table Desserts

My first two assignments were to convert my favorite recipes into gluten free versions. I was a little nervous about this because when I have used other flours in the past the flavors were just not great. The texture was gritty and the baked goods were dense with absolutely no fluffiness whatsoever.  

So in order to avoid this I searched Pinterest for a gluten free flour blend. Now, everyone claims that their blend is the "BEST EVER", but I knew they couldn't all be right. I wanted a flour blend that seamlessly stepped into the shoes of my go to AP flour; a 1 to 1 substitution. The good news is, I found the perfect blend and I want to share it with you!

This GF Flour Blend was adapted from "The Thrifty Couple"

I replaced the sweet rice flour with sorghum flour because I just couldn't find sweet rice flour at any of the markets I went to, but the substitution created the most delicious GF Flour Blend so I think I will stick with this version.

4 1/4 Cups Brown Rice Flour
4 1/4 Cups White Rice Four
4 1/4 Cups Sorghum Flour
4 1/2 Cups Tapioca Flour (aka Tapioca Starch)
2½ TBSP Xanthan Gum (not pictured)

Just measure, mix it up with a whisk and put it in a glass or rubber container with a lid and you are good to go!

Bob's Red Mill GF Flours
Using a 1 to 1 conversion I was able to make GF Cinnamon Oat Streusel Coffee Cake and Banana Bread. I will share the recipes and pictures in my next post coming up very soon!

I promise you will not be disappointed with this GF Flour Blend and you will not miss the AP flour at all.  You may even like the recipe better gluten free...I know I did.

Happy Baking!!
~Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment